Movement, Style, School or Type of Art:
Date and Place of Birth:
June 13, 1935, Gabrovo, Bulgaria (born as Christo Vladimirov Javacheff)
Christo, along with his wife/artistic partner Jeanne-Claude, is best known for surrounding large items (islands, buildings) with fabric and creating extremely large scale public works of a temporary nature. His art is designed to be viewed from the ground, and concentrates on using fabrics, cloth and textiles.
- Wrapped Coast, Little Bay, Australia, 1968-69
- Running Fence, Sonoma and Marin Counties, California, 1972-76
- Surrounded Islands, Miami, Florida, 1980-83
- The Umbrellas, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan and the Tejon Pass area, Southern California, 1984-91
- The Gates, New York City, 2005
See pictures of The Gates in the a walking tour by Stan Parchin.